Wednesday 1 February 2017

Every Inchie Monday - Donkey

Well you'd think for me this was Every Inchie Wednesday - just can't seem to do it on time!!  But - there is a reason - Because like the fool that I am I have to go and make everything complicated.  So for Donkey I decided it would be great to do one of those old games we all used to love playing - "stick the tail on the donkey"!  But on an inch - and how to get the tail to come on and off.  I thought about poppers - and then whilst watching a tutorial on making side pockets and flaps in an album I decided to buy some mini magnets - however I wasn't sure what I was ordering and although they were small 2mm x 5mm I thought they'd be small enough - and of course I had to wait for them to come which they did yesterday!  Then  they weren't really small enough but in the end I had to use one however trying to secure the tail onto the other magnet was impossible so I opted for a tiny washer which clung to the magnet which I had to put under the brown fabric for the donkey's bottom!  So when I tried ironing on the fabric with the magnet underneath I forgot that iron's are just that and of course the next thing was the material and magnet were stuck to the iron! With much huffing and hawing I managed to get the material ironed down but it went a bit wonky and the magnet distorted the fabric so I have had to sew it in.  Trying to plait the donkey's tail and leave a tuft was interesting to say the least but this is what I ended up with:

So this is Donkey with tail and below is Donkey without tail! I don't understand why I can't get them to sit side by side but it will not allow it. 
 
I also redid dog from last week - I wasn't really very happy with my doodle - I thought it was a good idea but it looked better on the paper than on the fabric!!  So I decided to choose one of the 7 German Shepherds we've had over the last 44 years.   I think he's most like Sam or Max who were paler versions, all the others were really black and tan.  My husband's father was a dog handler in the police force and so he had grown up with German Shepherds so our first was Jason a rescue dog who was brought into the kennels at dead of night with cricket gloves on and they said he was fierce but when I saw him I just saw a frightened young dog, he was only 10 months old - so I went to see him everyday for a week during my lunch hour and just sat with him so he could get used to my smell.  On the third day I got a bit restless and tried to pat him and he snarled at me but I froze with my hand out - not really sure why - it stunned me as it was so quick but his mouth hovered round my hand but he didn't bite.  I was a bit nervous the next day and nearly didn't go but decided to as I thought if he was going to bit me he would have yesterday, and so I was a bit late - and do you know what?  He was up at the window watching out for me!  That day we had a break through because a young basset dog escaped from her kennel, ( I think I mentioned her before in another post - my parents adopted her) she was only 8 months old and I've never seen such a change in a dog.  Jason became a puppy and I watched him frolic and play with Snoopy for the rest of the hour.  By the fifth day I had him on a lead and took him home at the weekend.  He was devoted to me but unfortunately got leukemia when he was 6 and we lost him, but we then had Ben and Sam who lived to the ripe old ages of 13 and 12.  We then bought Monty and Rommel but at the ages of 18 months they started packing and went for a sheep and a goat and we had to separate them and rehome them.  So then we had Harvey a long haired Shepherd but he got a problem where his cartilage didn't grow and could hardly walk at 10 months and he had to be put down bless him so we re-homed Max an 11 month old was-to-be stud dog but then the breeder decided to sell up and retire..  He was a wonderful dog and died at 13.  So here is my German Shepherd I'm afraid his eye looks wonky but he's got Max's smile:
Sorry there was so much to read I got a bit carried away going down memory lane.  Thanks for visiting and please visit all the other inchies made by talented people by clicking the link here and thanks for any comments leave.

4 comments:

  1. love the donkey! how clever! Love the stories from memory lane, those are always the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memories came flooding back with your "pin the tail on the donkey"!

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, quite the journey you've taken us on! Great idea for the inchie and Max is so cute! c

    ReplyDelete
  4. After spending two days reading your post, phew !! your donkey is lovely Great idea. Perhaps a small piece of velcro might have been easier. All these animals are not easy.

    ReplyDelete